Candes Saint-Martin, my favourite spot in La Touraine.

Saturday 30 May 2009

The end of the beginning

When staying in Loué, we also visited the village of Sainte-Suzanne. It’s a picturesque little place dominated by a medieval fortress. Even after more than 15 years, I still have vivid memories of a large interior courtyard with a display of crests of different knights who used to engage in combat or duels there in the Middle Ages.

Inside of the fortress was a lovely collection of miniature scenes depicting everyday life in medieval France. Each tiny character was beautifully modeled with very distinctive features.


This is one of these ‘off the beaten track’ destinations that too few people visit.

* * * *

This post marks ‘the end of the beginning’ (to quote W.Churchill)! From 1994 till 1998 our annual holiday took us to Brittany (on three occasions) and Burgundy in 1998. Pretty soon now we will be off to the Loire Valley for our 11th consecutive visit. I’m sure that we’ll return with a fresh load of incredible stories, which will be fun sharing with you.

In the meantime, I will be posting about some past experiences. And I will also be giving you a sneak preview of what we are up to during our 2009 visit.


2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm excited to read about it all! :-)

ladybird said...

Jennifer, I hope my blog will live up to your expectations. Must say that your comments are very motivating. Thank you.