Candes Saint-Martin, my favourite spot in La Touraine.

Saturday 23 July 2011

Catching up

As Mats and I had spent a large part of the previous evening together over supper, we had already caught up on what had happened since our last meeting in 2007. However, Teresa and Mats had a lot to talk about, not having seen each other since 1974. While I discovered some more of Walmer castle's secrets, they sat on the castle's ramparts, happily chatting away. Here they are on the terrace overlooking the English Channel. I guess this is were Queen Victoria stood when she visited the castle in the second half of the 19th century.




And here are some more shots of the castle's interior and exterior.


A cosy alcove. Amazing brick work, don't you think so?


The heart of the castle.


An stately fireplace.


Even the gratings are elegant.
Lovely colour pattern!


Queen Victoria's bed.


The Lord Warden's private balcony, maybe?


A beautifully carved and polished banister end.


In my next post I will be taking you on a tour of the castle's gardens. That is, unless you are tired of seeing so many photos. Someone once told me that there is nothing as boring as looking at other people's holiday pictures. So please tell me when to stop ...

7 comments:

GaynorB said...

I'm thoroughly enjoying your illustrated holiday diary Martine.

Bob said...

We are enjoying the photos. I like taking photographs, so I find them interesting. Keep them coming.

Craig said...

It's interesting for me anyway Martine so keep it up.
I love the fireplace grate and you did a great job photographing the banister - well done!

chm said...

It's always a pleasure to look at pictures when they are as good as yours. I especially enjoy the banister thing. It makes me think of a question mark. No?

Carolyn said...

More photos, please. Some of us don't get to English castles very often.

Amanda said...

England is just such a beautiful country and the people very nice.
I bet you would love to go back there again.

ladybird said...

Gaynor, Glad you're enjyoing it.

Bob, Okay ...hang in there.

Craig, The banister was just one of those things that caught my eye :)

Chm, A question mark, yes. Or an oversized 'escargot', perhaps?

Carolyn, They are quite different from the French castles, I noticed.

Nadege, Oh yes, but first, I need to go to France again ...