At 11.44 a.m. I received an email from Vera, Mats’ wife, with the ominous title: ‘Delayed’. Not a good start of our trip. Vera’s message read that there was some ferry trouble in Denmark – she didn’t specify whether it was a strike or a technical problem. Anyway, it means that they will have to use the bridges that connect Sweden and Denmark, adding a couple of hours to their journey. Moreover, Mats’ contacts in his mobile phone have been partly erased, so impossible to call me! Vera asked me to send a text message with my phone number, so that they can give me a ring when they reach the Belgian border.
Their delay will probably mean that we won’t have drinks at my mother’s, because it will be too late. I’m not even sure that we can make it to the restaurant for dinner, because we all want to make it an early night in order to be bright-eyed and bushy-tailed when we set off tomorrow morning at five.
Finally, the weather forecast for next week couldn’t be any worse. Cold, cloudy and 40% possibility of rain, especially on Wednesday, the day of Susan and Simon’s BBQ. I so hope the weather people are wrong. I really want Mats and Vera to see the Loire Valley at its best: blue skies, picnics alfresco and jolly people in colourful summer clothes, not rain jackets and umbrellas. But then again, as blog friend Gaynor from La PetitePresse wrote in yesterday’s email: “… the scenery and the ambiance will still be fantastic”.