Candes Saint-Martin, my favourite spot in La Touraine.

Tuesday, 30 June 2015

Long-time no see

By 5 p.m. fatigue finally took over. A fitful night, getting up at 3 a.m., a pleasant yet exciting flight, meeting new people, discovering the hotel grounds, a delicious lunch ... the combination of all these new experiences was beginning to take its toll.

I retired to my room, took a shower and wrapped myself in the fluffy white bathrobe. Turning down the bed covers I switched on the flat screen TV and zapped through several channels until I found the second French channel and tennis at Roland Garros. I started to watch the game but must have dozed off at some point, because when I opened my eyes again, I found myself facing a screen showing my employer's (who's French) most recent commercial!!! Ghrrrr ... the familiar music must have woken me up. I felt annoyed that my job had even followed me to this beautiful island! 

More hotel views

I got dressed and went down to the bar for a drink while waiting for my SIL, who had promised to come over after work to have dinner with me. While I was waiting in the lobby, I was approached again by my new friends C. and P. They confirmed that they would accompany me the next day on my private taxi island tour, sharing the cost. While we were discussing the practical details, I saw a blue-eyed blond walking up the hotel steps. I would have recognized her anywhere ... even after all these years. It was my SIL M. !! She saw me too and came running over. 'You haven't changed!' she beamed, throwing her arms around me, almost smothering me in her firm hug. Over her shoulder I saw C. and P. smiling at the sight.

M. and I spent a very pleasant evening together, chatting, laughing and eating at the hotel's restaurant, where we received an almost VIP treatment when it turned out that M. had worked there 5 years earlier and still knew most of the staff. The Maître d'hôtel, Kostas, made sure that we were looked after properly. When we said goodbye for the night, Kostas promised M. that he would watch over me. A promised he kept!

It was almost 11.30 p.m. when M. left. She lives at a 6 minutes drive from the hotel - one of the reasons why she had recommended it. She had to work the next day, but we would spend next Sunday together lunching and shopping at Corfu Town - Kerkyra.

Back in my room and in bed, I fell asleep as soon as my head hit the pillow. A great feeling that I hadn't experienced in months ...


Craig said...

Isn't it lovely that deep friendship just picks up where it left off after years apart? The hotel views are stunning. It always helps to have a friend in high places to obtain better service such as you experienced.

The Beaver said...


Good thing you have already taken that vacation trip. I doubt you would have enjoyed it this week with all that drama about Greece and its debts and worries about withdrawing cash from ATM/closed banks.

This looks like a very lovely hotel with nice scenic views.

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Hello Martine , absolutely wonderful , that you could both pick up as if it was yesterday :-)

VirginiaC said...

Ooh you're having a great time on this trip...loving your posts.
What a pity your work followed you there!!!

Rhodesia said...

Sounds like you had a good time and how good to enjoy being with friends. Have a good weekend Diane

ladybird said...

Craig, Especially when it comes to food :)

TB, I wonder what is going to happen next. I've tried to contact my SIL, but failed to reach her. Fingers crossed.

Anne, It was lovely seeing her again after all these years.

Virginia, Thank you. There is more to come.

Diane, Indeed, it was great fun.