Candes Saint-Martin, my favourite spot in La Touraine.

Tuesday 28 June 2016

A seafood lunch - part 1

After walking up and down the Visserskaai a second time, I finally found a place I liked, with a nice offer of seafood, a cosy terrace with a premium table in the sun. Inside the place looked pretty full (always a sign of quality food and service), but the terrace only had 4 patrons: two elderly ladies wearing sun heads and a middle-aged couple.

When I walked up to entrance, the waitress was about to take the order of the two elderly ladies. I had to wait for a while and overheard their conversation. They both wanted lobster: 1/2 Thermidor-style (cold with a salad, mayonnaise and cocktail sauce) as a starter. The second half: warm with a garlic sauce for the main course.

The ladies sounded like regular clients, with the waitress calling them 'My Princesses'.



After a while the waitress re-appeared carrying a bowl containing two fine lobsters. The two 'princesses' were very curious to know whether the lobsters were males or females, as they insisted on having the precious 'coral' of the females. After a scrutinizing examination - involving the poor animals indignantly being turned upside down - they got the ladies' approval. It was fun and interesting to watch!

The waitress saw me taking the above photo and with a big smile walked over to my table for a close-up of the bowl and its contents.



'That'll be 10 euros', she laughed. 'Just put it on the bill!' I answered. Of course, she didn't but it was all good fun and it broke the ice ...


I didn't have lobster. More to come ...

4 comments:

chm said...

I just love seafood, any kind! And I'm anxious to know what you're going to have for lunch. I'm already salivating!

ladybird said...

Seafood is great and I used to eat a lot of it. Nowadays I mostly stick to fish and shrimps ...

Bob said...

looks like my kind of meal!!!

ladybird said...

Bob, I'm not surprised :)