Candes Saint-Martin, my favourite spot in La Touraine.

Monday 17 May 2010

One year later


Exactly one year ago I published my very first blog post. What - or should I say who – incited me to start blogging?

The main ‘culprits’ are two colleagues of mine who suggested that I’d write a book about my travels in France. After each trip I used to tell them about the sites we’d seen, the restaurants we had visited and the food we’d eaten, the funny anecdotes which had made us laugh or the frights we’d had when some things went terribly wrong. Apparently, they found it fascinating.

In the meanwhile I had become an ardent fan of Ken’s blog, Living the Life in Saint-Aignan. Very quickly I realized that blogging was an excellent alternative to writing a book. So I put two and two together and ‘voilà’, the idea for a blog was born. I spent another month or so trying to find a catchy title. Somehow the only good-sounding titles I could come up with were in English. Taking into account that there are 23 million people in the world who speak Dutch, against 380 million who speak English, writing my blog in English was an obvious choice. Especially as it would be good practice for me, considering that I rarely get a chance to speak English in my everyday life.

Since then, writing this blog has given me a lot of pleasure. I’ve particularly enjoyed making new (cyber)friends.

So here’s a big thank you to all of you who:

- have invited me to your home. Your hospitality never ceases to amaze me.
- are ‘promoting’ my blog by linking it to yours and thus attracting new readers.
- occasionally send me an e-mail with useful travel tips and delicious recipes. Please continue to surprise me!
- regularly write an interesting, amusing or funny comment. Everyday, I can’t wait to get home from work to read them.
- log in from time to time. I truly appreciate your visits.

When you’re reading this, I’ll be on vacation in the Loire Valley looking for more topics and ‘adventures’ to keep this blog going for the next twelve months (I hope). I’ll be back on Monday … see you then!

_____

9 comments:

Jean said...

I'm missing you already!

Have a great week. I look forward to reading all about it. I always learn something from your blog.

Amanda said...

Happy anniversary. Bring back lots of great, happy stories.

Shellsea said...

Love your blog Ladybird! It makes me want to visit the places you've been. As a fellow Belgian, and one who periodically works with translators (albeit simultaneous ones :-)I keep thinking that perhaps I know you. Who knows. Keep blogging!

Carolyn said...

Your blog is a very enjoyable part of my morning routine. Today I'm thinking of you and your friends having a good time on your trip.

The Beaver said...

One down, many ( funny, interesting, informative, adventurous and...) more to come . Thank you and promise to keep on reading :-)

Anne in Oxfordshire said...

Happy 1st Blogiversary to you, I hope you bring back lots of wonderful stories. I have met, not only online but face to face, wonderful friends, just had another trip to Paris to stay with one of them and see the others. :-)

ladybird said...

Shellsea, Welcome to my blog and thank you for posting a comment. You say you keep thinking you know me? May I ask why? :))

To all, Thank you for your kind 'birthday wishes'. My blog and I really appreciate your loyal support and interest.

wcs said...

Happy Blogiversary! It was great to see you while you were in town!

ladybird said...

Walt, Thank you! It was lovely seeing you and Ken again. Wish we could have stayed a little longer ...